SYDNEY – South Australia’s six-day coronavirus lockdown was prompted by “lies” to contact a man who tested positive and restrictions in the state were set to be lifted much sooner than previously planned, Officials said on Friday.
The shock announcement came just a day after the state government ordered people to stay home and close several businesses, which were believed to be highly contagious outbreaks of coronovirus.
Steven Marshall, head of state for South Australia, told a media conference in Adelaide that a person at a pizza bar tied to the outbreak reported that he had only bought one pizza when he had actually worked multiple shifts at food outlets, There was also another worker who tested positive.
Authorities assumed that the man, who was not named, had caught the virus for a very short time, leading them to believe that the strain should be highly contrary.
Download the NBC News app for breaking news and politics
“what is ours [the man’s] The story did not add up. We followed them. We now know that he lied, “Marshall told reporters. Had this person been true to the contact tracing teams, we would not have gone into a six-day lockdown.”
“To say that I am saying something about this person’s actions is a complete understanding. This selfish actions of this person have put our entire state in a very difficult situation.”
The outbreak was still worrisome, with Marshall saying the restrictions would be lifted early with a domestic order ending at midnight Saturday when most businesses would also be allowed to open.
Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said there is “no penalty” under current law for lying to instructors, although it will be reviewed.
“I think it’s clear to say that this person’s actions have had a devastating effect on our community,” Stevens said. “The difficulty has not fallen upon us.”
Stevens said that a team was reviewing the information provided to the contract worker that he was not satisfied with the “sentiment from it”. Stevens would not be drawn to the man’s possible motivation for misleading contact.
Home to around 1.8 million people, South Australia has recorded 25 cases from the latest cluster, involving a returned passenger from Britain. The number of new cases in the state was still expected to increase in the next few days.
The virus-rich country has been relatively successful with about 95 cases currently active.
The state of Victoria reported zero cases on its 21st day on Friday, a well-earned reward for the marathon lockdown of Melbourne, the country’s second-largest city.