Indiana Boy arrives at emergency room after eating 27 magnets

Justin McNair stepped out of the room for a moment, but when he returned to his 4-year-old step-son, Peeton, he was crying a little. He said that he swallowed something and it got stuck in his throat. When McNair’s wife Jessica peeks into Peeton’s mouth, he realizes what he has swallowed and how dangerous it is.

Thanks to an episode of “Grey’s Anatomy”, Jessica McNair understood how important it was to treat her son after swallowing the little magnate.Courtesy Jessica McNair

The 30-year-old science teacher from Greenwood, Indiana, told TODAY, “I looked at the back of her throat and her two sides were sticking to either side of her uvula one by one.”

He then noticed that the remaining small, round magnetic balls were missing. When she could not find them, she realized what had happened: Peyton swallowed them. They arrived at the local emergency room.

“He already had two in his throat and there’s a good chance he swallowed more than one and I knew it was trouble,” she said. “They can tear through tissue and body.”

McNair is sharing Pieten’s experience with helping other parents understand how dangerous neurodeum magnets are.

“Most people don’t realize the dangers of swallowing magnets,” she said. “It can happen to anyone and it can happen in another division as well.”

None for MINUTES

Last September, Peyton was playing with his father and brother, along with his brother’s magnets. Often, he made a long snake out of magnets: he loved how they connected and slipped into each other. Now 6-year-old Peyton has autism and sometimes acts a little younger than his age, his mother explained.

For a frightening moment, the doctor could not see the magnets in Patton’s stomach and felt as if he had returned to his small intestine. He pulled back the camera and realized that he was sticking with the scope but still carrying it.Courtesy Jessica McNair

While Peyton was playing, Justin McNair received a call and walked out of the room. At the time, 9-year-old Payton’s brother ran into the bathroom. When McNair returned after only a few minutes, Pethan was “whispering” and “crying” about something in his throat. She later tells her mother that she is pretending to eat spaghetti and she accepts the magnet snake, turns into a magnet snack, posing a threat to her mouth.

As soon as they arrived at the local hospital, the doctors took an X-ray and confirmed that 25 magnets were in their abdomen, both of which were attached to their uvula. Doctors needed to act fast: If magnets had passed into the intestines, doctors might have to undergo an operation to remove them. They were transferred to Riley Children’s Health in Indianapolis, where doctors took another set of X-rays to confirm that they had not been transferred.

“It would be very easy to have some magnets pushed (into the small intestine) and separated from others,” she said. “This is when others will be attracted and through (magnet) tissue.”

Dr. Michael Foreman, a gastroenterologist who treated Peyton, agreed that the danger of these small high-powered magnets is that they are still attracted to each other inside the body. If one is trapped in a mucosal fold (a fold in any of the mucous membranes of the body), it can pull through the tissue to attach another magnet to a different fold.

“These neodymium magnets, even though they are small, can be really powerful. Size has nothing to do with how powerful they are, ”he told TODAY. “They have a strong bridge.”

If they are attracted to each other in the stomach or intestine, they can make a difference.

He said, “They can give you a hole in your gut and that’s the worst case scenario.” It can be devastating and can result in surgery or resection, ”he said.

Most parents know when their children eat magnets and the foreman urges them to take their children to the emergency room if they have them. If a child develops abdominal pain or an enlarged, tight, swollen abdomen that may be an indication that something has become internally perforated and then requires surgery.

In Patton’s case, he believed that he could receive 25 magnets from his duodenum, the top part of the small intestine, with a basket at the end of the scope. He inserted a long, thin tube that, at the end of the scope, dragged the first magnets down his throat and into the stomach and then experienced a terrible moment when the magnets disappeared and he feared that they would return to the small intestine. went.

Foreman explained, “Magnets, all of them (25) are attached to the edge of the scope.” “We were able to shut them down and capture them.”

While the US Consumer Product Safety Commission banned these magnets for a few years, in 2016 manufacturers were allowed to use them again. Since then Foreman said doctors have seen an increase in the number of children swallowing magnets.

“We have seen cases triple, about 3,000 (a year),” he said. “Pediatric gastroenterology has few emergencies and it is one of them.”

Recovery and warning

Doctors also removed two magnets on Uvula, which only left some signs in the tissue. An X-ray showed that they removed all the magnets from Peyton’s body. The next day and being intubated from a sore throat in the armpit, Peyton adored it.

Soon after the process of removing 27 magnets from his body, Peyton felt great and had no problems from this year.Courtesy Jessica McNair

“He was fine after that,” McNair said. “We threw the magnets immediately.”

Now, they have no magnets or small toys in the house, such as stones. McNair said he was aware that swallowing the magnets was an emergency because he saw it in “Grey’s Anatomy” and news stories. She hopes that Peyton’s story helps raise awareness so that others understand how dangerous it is.

“I still see parents buying these for their children and they are advertised as toys. It is fun to play with them. I have played with them myself, ”he said. “Most people do not realize the dangers of swallowing magnets. Even if it’s just one or two magnets … they’re going to tear through your baby.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *